Mod Monkey bike of the Year?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should there be a Mod Monkey of the Year award

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mod Monkey

Reaction score
All,

I have been discussing with the MMRB whether or not we should do a Mod Monkey of the Year award starting in 2011. It was determined after many hours in a smoke filled room that we would let you decide whether or not this would interest you. Here are the rules as we see them:

1) The winner shall have entered his/her Max in at least 1 Mod Monkey of the Month contest.

2) The winning entry will be a Vmax. We appreciate all bikes, but as this is a Vmax forum a Vmax will win this award.

3) The voting on the Mod Monkey bike of the year will be opened up to the public through the use of the polling function on the forum. As the poll function only allows up to 10 choices there may be a "play-off" format wherein the top bikes in each poll will face off to determine a winner.

4) The winner shall be awarded a prize that will be determined by the MMRB (have a really great idea for one already).

5) The contest voting will take place from Dec 15, 2011- December 20, 2011, with a winner announced on Dec 24, 2011.

Those are the nuts and bolts of it people. If the members are interested then I will commit to running the contest. Thanks for your votes!!

Great idea, even though you evil primates are a nasty lot I applaud this latest idea.
It's kinda like Playmate of the Year, the Mod Monkey Bike of the Year will be a much anticipated/ sought after award!:punk:

I can see the prize from here...

"You shall be left alone by the mod monkey's evil wallet-emptying influence for a whole 24 hours!"

har har har ;-)

Glad to see that the idea seems to be getting acceptance! One more thing I forgot earlier under the rules:

6) Entries will be accepted starting Dec 1st through the 14th.

All,

I have been discussing with the MMRB whether or not we should do a Mod Monkey of the Year award starting in 2011. It was determined after many hours in a smoke filled room that we would let you decide whether or not this would interest you. Here are the rules as we see them:

1) The winner shall have entered his/her Max in at least 1 Mod Monkey of the Month contest.

2) The winning entry will be a Vmax. We appreciate all bikes, but as this is a Vmax forum a Vmax will win this award.

3) The voting on the Mod Monkey bike of the year will be opened up to the public through the use of the polling function on the forum. As the poll function only allows up to 10 choices there may be a "play-off" format wherein the top bikes in each poll will face off to determine a winner.

4) The winner shall be awarded a prize that will be determined by the MMRB (have a really great idea for one already).

5) The contest voting will take place from Dec 15, 2011- December 20, 2011, with a winner announced on Dec 24, 2011.

Those are the nuts and bolts of it people. If the members are interested then I will commit to running the contest. Thanks for your votes!!

A couple of questions:

1) Can non-VMax owners vote for the winner?
2) Is this award based on looks, performance, or total $ spent?
3) I'll vote for "go" over "show" any day of the week so how will performance (or reliability) be judged by the masses?

Good luck!

Blaine

CRAP!! It was me, I HIT THE WRONG BUTTON. I meant yes and clicked no because I missunder...forget it, I screwed up. My vote doesn't count.:bang head:

I'll toss my $0.02 in on this.

Having watched a few MM contests come and go, I'm not sure it has a tremendous future. What I'm saying is winners are being awarded faster than new MM bikes are popping up. It's been running for several months now and already it seems entries are tapering off as the "big players" in the MM scene have already entered and won. Is it a great idea for community involvement? Sure, but IMO it was a bit too limited in scope, but could easily be expanded to include a lot more bikes/members in a "community contest".

I'd suggest something similar, but a bit broader in scope and not limited to mods. Like a "VMF member of the month", where any aspect could win. A great photo tutorial, helping other members in an "above and beyond" fashion, an event organizer, a great Vmax photo/video, a hot new user mod, anything pertaining to the betterment of the Vmax community. Then open a poll and get everyone to vote.

So the same idea as the MMotM, but expanded. Get more people involved, more entries, and recognize exploits that otherwise might have gone unnoticed.

Having watched a few MM contests come and go, I'm not sure it has a tremendous future. What I'm saying is winners are being awarded faster than new MM bikes are popping up. It's been running for several months now and already it seems entries are tapering off as the "big players" in the MM scene have already entered and won. Is it a great idea for community involvement? Sure, but IMO it was a bit too limited in scope, but could easily be expanded to include a lot more bikes/members in a "community contest".

I'd suggest something similar, but a bit broader in scope and not limited to mods. Like a "VMF member of the month", where any aspect could win. A great photo tutorial, helping other members in an "above and beyond" fashion, an event organizer, a great Vmax photo/video, a hot new user mod, anything pertaining to the betterment of the Vmax community. Then open a poll and get everyone to vote.

So the same idea as the MMotM, but expanded. Get more people involved, more entries, and recognize exploits that otherwise might have gone unnoticed.

+1 , I like it. I dont have the time to mod my max due to the fact that Im makin seats for the comfort of maxers everywhere, and to feed the ultimate Mod!

Although at some point this winter I have cops,new pick-up,stator,and possibly carbs(bye-bye EFI)but shes gonna look like I never touched her!

Any way it goes Im sure the MMRB will meet again, in a smoke (and possibly mirror) filled room and manage to make the right decision as in the past.

+1 , I like it. I dont have the time to mod my max due to the fact that Im makin seats for the comfort of maxers everywhere, and to feed the ultimate Mod!

Although at some point this winter I have cops,new pick-up,stator,and possibly carbs(bye-bye EFI)but shes gonna look like I never touched her!

Any way it goes Im sure the MMRB will meet again, in a smoke (and possibly mirror) filled room and manage to make the right decision as in the past.

++1
There's a lot of good people/content on this site. Those who contribute to the betterment of the VMax community would be recognized through his/her actions, not just the bike itself.

As far as mods go, a heavily modified bike that runs like crap wouldn't get my vote no matter how good it looked or how much money was thrown at it.

Just my 0.02

Cheers!

Blaine

Great, and you can buy the prizes too!! We, yes there are more then just one of us, started this contest as a way for everyone to show off their pride and joy. Yes we wanted to see some mods, but if you go back through the monthly contests you will find that we backed off that requirement and just wanted everyone to post their bike with some sort of theme, whether it was one that we set or your own. It was also stated that the MMRB did not care how much cashola had been spent, we wanted to see what your vision of the VMax is.

Like I said at first if the will of the people is that the forum will run the contest and a poll will decide the winner then the forum can provide the prizes as well. I have paid for all but one of the prizes, thanks again Sean, out of my pocket, including shipping costs so I figured I was entitled to pick the winner along with my fellow Mod Monkeys on the board. This was started to be something fun with a cool little return to the winner for their efforts. Go read the thread on what people have done to their Max today and see that daily people are modding their bikes, they just don't enter for whatever reason.

Tell you what, I will start another poll and see what the will of the people is concerning the contests and we will go from there.

Guys,

Sorry for the off the hook rant first thing this morning. Hadn't had my first cup of banana juice and was feeling a bit surly. My frustration stems from the fact that the MMRB has made an effort to showcase some very nice bikes and reward members here for doing what they can to make their bike unique in some way. Right now I spend a lot of time and money finding, purchasing, and shipping the prizes we give out. No other site does this! I have seen sites that have a Bike of the Month contest, but the winner gets diddly except maybe their pic on the home page for the forum. Whoopdie Doo:rofl_200: You win one of the MMRB's contests you get something of value in return, prizes are averaging ~$75 + shipping sent to you as our way of showing appreciation. I have a lot of very cool prize ideas for 2011, including one helluva prize for the Bike of the Year (approximate value $200 +) that will be a good Christmas present for you from us. If you want a change to how the contests are run (ie. what the requirements for entry are) PM me with your ideas and we will see what we can do. The only thing that is off the table is the voting process, the MMRB reserves that right as the only one not up for discussion.

i have an IDEA :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

we are here because we love this 2 wheel killing beast. we are on of the best forums worldwide with no arguement on that.

when the contest begins every one of us could make a deposit in a paypal acount 10-20 euros or usd ( i thing 20 euros is 26 usd right now) and all the money we gother will be a very good gift. what the heck. maybe they will be raised a good ammound of money that we can have 3 bikes winners. 1st ,2nd and 3rd. and all get some cool prizes... it is just a thought. and 26 usd we will give will make some fellows from this forum remember us forever and ever and ever...... and it isn't a great deal of money.. i think. greece is in crysis with our :boxing00::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::flamethrower:"brilliand politicians" :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:. but 1.5 euros a month when the time comes i will have the money..

I'll completely agree that the "real" prizes given out here are extremely unique to this forum, and honestly I wondered how long the "mod monkey" was going to keep footing the bill for them. I also understand it's your contest, you pick winners, ect.

However, while real prizes are sweet, I kind of doubt a VMFer is going to say, hold a tech day or help out others just to get a prize for it. It's for the good of the community and I'm sure they'd do the same if there was no contest or reward at all. To me that's what really makes VMF special. Nobody needs to buy prizes or kick in cash, maybe the reward is just a new user badge( next to the boostaholic or something, with the month/year they won). Free,easy, a small token of recognition.

As you said the MMotM is your gig, do with it as you want.

Love the forum and the MM contest. I would like to participate, but with a daughter in college ($$$$$), I just don't have the cash to modify my bike any further than the few "piddly" mods that I have now! I hate to think of the monkey kicking in his own cash each month, so maybe a collection or as Rawarrior said, a user badge would fit. JMO

Back